May 15, 2005

Borders Salsa & Margaritas

So the other night I sat out back on our steps and contemplated my new flower border. There has and will continue to be a tremendous amount of work involved with it. Mulching, weeding and watering are the main chores. I did not use a mat or a plastic sheet on top of the earth before I planted. I almost put sheets of newspaper before I applied the mulch, almost is the key word here. Now I regret that omission. I see weeds and grass popping up between pieces of cedar bark shreds. As I made my way from the back steps to the border itself I found myself struggling through the tentacles of octopus dandelions. I believe it's a new hybrid. I may use it for a ground cover this year. My neighbor is, again, and you know what they say, "When in Rome" and "Keeping up with the Jones'" and "The grass is always greener"...Well maybe not that LAST saying. I see my border of sunflowers are coming up, the lettuce is growing, the radishes are bursting out and my other plants are still green and perky. Alec mentions everyday that he can't wait for garden salsa. I have to agree. Won't it be wonderful to get the fire pit going, mix up a mess of margaritas, apply copious amounts of mosquito repellent, go to the garden and get my hot chili peppers, green peppers, tomatoes, onions and make a big bowl of Pico d Gallo grab a bag of tortilla chips and have a yummy snack while sitting out back lulled by the sparkle of lighting bugs and the smell of fresh cut Octopudandelions? Mmmmmm it just doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: