October 12, 2006

New Options...I guess you'd call it options...

Dad's scan showed, hold your breath, fluid in his lungs...again.
I'm afraid this is how things will be. Take the fluid out, back the fluid comes.
I would have to say that Dad doesn't have as many symptoms of the reaccumulation of fluid...as he did last time.
We went to the oncologist today.
Basically she said she thought the fluid was reaccumulating because of "cancer". I really think that Dad thought his cancer was, well, gone. Because of all the radiation, the chemo, the procedures he's undergone and the side effects of these things he had forgotton one thing. He has cancer. Cancer AND side effects of those other things.
The oncologist gave us three options. One...a different type of chemo, Two...consult with a thoracic surgeon who could put Dad in the hospital for several days, insert bilateral chest tubes, drain both lungs, "scar" up the pleural spaces and MAYBE this would work to keep the fluid from reaccumulating, Three...go on as we have been, still getting monthly Zymeda, draining the lungs as needed.
I don't know, for some reason I had convinced myself that the fluid was related to, perhaps, the radiation or chemo. As we were about to leave I thought to ask the Dr. this question. She said, No...the fluid is not caused by these things. She seemed sure. I still question it. I don't think she likes me. I don't think the nurses like us either. I hate that place. I see them visiting with other patients, caring, asking questions, touching, making eye contact...and then...they seem very very different to us. I wonder why.
Anyway, we have to talk about our options and figure out what to do now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and absolutely love it. My dad was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma on 12/17/05 and given 6 months to live. Thankfully, he's still here and has gone though so many of the same things your dad has. To say that this entire experience has been a nightmare is an understatement.

My dad, too, had fluid in his lungs (2 liters!). He was hospitalized and had a chest tube put in to drain it out and then the sac where it all accumulated was sealed with talc (who knew that would work?). Since then, his breathing has been much better.

If you ever need someone to talk to, please do not hesitate to email me. Stay strong, hon.